Evitts Creek Aqueduct

Evitts Creek Aqueduct

Evitts Creek Aqueduct

Evitts Creek Aqueduct is located at mile 180.66, and it’s the last of the eleven aqueducts heading upstream from Georgetown to Cumberland.  It was completed around 1840, and its 70′ span is the smallest of these structures along the  C&O Canal.  The aqueduct was stabilized by the National Park Service in 1979 and 1983 (hence the supports), and the view from the top offers a great look at Evitts Creek emptying into the North Branch of the Potomac River.

Evitts Creek and nearby Evitts Mountain are named after one of Allegany County’s earliest settlers.  It’s said that he went to this (then) remote area to “contemplate his bachelorhood.”  I didn’t find out anything about his marital status later in life, but I imagine any man with a mountain and creek named after him had to be a pretty good catch.  I know if I were to get into online dating, etc. and had a creek and mountain named after me, I would put it in bold type and caps in the first sentence of my introduction.  I’m rambling, aren’t I?

Evitts Creek Aqueduct from creekside.  Note the tree.  We've had lots of heavy winds and blowdowns in the area this summer

Evitts Creek Aqueduct from creekside. Note the tree. We’ve had lots of heavy winds and blowdowns in the area this summer

Anyway, the creek itself is 30.2 miles long and begins its journey to the North Branch in Bedford County, Pennsylvania.  It’s important to the people of Cumberland  because it feeds 268-acre Lake Koon and 141-acre Lake Gordon, and the two reservoirs supply water to the city.  The creek is stocked with trout in both Pennsylvania and Maryland and is noted for the quality of its water.  As a thru-hiker or rider heading downstream from Cumberland, Evitts Creek is the first of many streams that play an important role in history and everyday life.  We’ve seen where they all go into the river, but there are lots of great stories upstream from all eleven aqueducts!

Evitts Creek Aqueduct--topside view

Evitts Creek Aqueduct–topside view

1. Posted by Jamie on August 6, 2014 at 8:41 am

Having gone the on-line dating route once upon a time, I learned that profiles are sometimes the equivalent of a well-run ad campaign… namely, the truth can be stretched, oh, ever-so-slightly. To that end, it is my humble opinion that you should claim Tom’s Creek in Frederick County, MD, as your own. Heck, it flows into the Monocacy (which ties into your last point) and has a neat bridge or two.

The mountain is more problematic as one has to travel some distance (NC or AR) to find it. Perhaps it is best to settle for just the creek, since the mountain may be a scary place..

Looking forward to hearing stories about what you find upstream of the aqueducts. Do you have a Folck’s Mill post in mind?

Another ‘A’ post which brought a smile and chuckle. (It would have been ‘A+’ but for the misspelling of the county name.) :)

• Posted by LevelWalker on August 6, 2014 at 9:15 am

You’re right. Dating profiles are akin to the parking lot full of rented Corvettes and Land Rovers at most high school reunions. However, if Mr. Evitts were to contemplate his bachelorhood today, he would come to
      the conclusion that he is the real deal deal–unlike all of these would-be VIPs who claim to have creeks and mountains named after them.

2. Posted by LevelWalker on August 10, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I FINALLY got around to changing the Allegany/Allegheny spelling gaff. Thanks to Jamie for keeping me honest on that one. I think I doled out some information regarding Pine Lick Trail too. I always appreciate it when somebody lends a helping hand!

My excuse? I grew up about 80 miles south of Pittsburgh, and it’s Allegheny there. BUT…I go through (and often TO) Cunberland about every week. Ouch!

3. […] 1700s) would have a creek and mountain named after him.  Of course, that also carried over to an aqueduct and hiker/biker campsite on the C&O Canal.  The story is that Evart was an educated man who […]

4. Posted by M. Alexander Gray on September 14, 2014 at 6:12 am

Hello – great photos. May I ask what time of day the middle photo was taken at (the one with the log in the foreground)?

• Posted by LevelWalker on September 14, 2014 at 6:51 am

It was late morning as I recall. We drove up from Martinsburg and walked there from the recreation area lot. If I had to guess…11:30.

• Hi, thanks for checking out my page. Do you know any other parking area (besides the one by the sewage treatment plant) you can use the visit Evitts Creek Aqueduct? It’s quite a long walk from there. Is there a closer one?

• Posted by LevelWalker on September 14, 2014 at 9:41 pm

The C&O Canal Association has a list of access points for the entire canal on their website. Unfortunately, the CANDOC recreation area seems to be about the closest place to park for Evitts Creek.

• Hello. Have you visited the Evitts Creek Aqueduct recently? Any idea if they’ve removed the fallen trees?

• Posted by LevelWalker on April 20, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I’m sorry to say that I haven’t been there for a while. I remember looking at your Facebook page a few months ago! Good stuff! I’m going to Lockhouse 75 on June 7th and 28th. If I have some extra time, I’ll check out the aqueduct.