Quite an Honor!

Tom doesn’t like to brag, so I’m going to have to do it for him!  He was recently awarded the 2014 West District Volunteer of the Year Award from Emily Hewitt and Steve Dean representing the C&O Canal Association.  For his dedication and hard work he was given a plaque and a beautiful fleece to commemorate the occasion.  I don’t know the exact numbers, but over the last five years Tom has volunteered countless hours within the C&O Canal National Park, doing everything from picking up trash to painting the railings at “our” aqueduct.  If you would like to get involved–the C&O Canal Association is a great organization and they could use your help!  Click here to go straight to their volunteer page. Congratulations, Tom!

~Candee

Photo Credit: Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park FB Page. (Thank You!)

1. Posted by Jamie on October 20, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Congratulations, Tom! Well deserved!

2. Posted by Jane squires on October 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Congratulations Tom. I’m glad I know you. Maybe when I get some time I can help with your volunteering

• Posted by LevelWalker on October 21, 2014 at 7:21 am

Thanks, Jane and Jamie. Candee surprised me with this post. I may have put in 80 hours last year, which is a drop in the 70+ thousand total volunteer hour bucket. People like Ranger Hewitt, Steve Dean, Jim Heins, William Baumann (LH 75), etc. run a remarkably well-oiled machine. The things that we’ve seen while walking around with a trash bag have been amazing and have made it all worthwhile.

3. Posted by James W. Bailey on October 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Congratulations! This has been a go-to blog for me and my family regarding a wealth of information about the C&O Canal. We often hike/bike along this amazing park. Thanks for all the work you do to preserve and promote the C&O Canal.

• Posted by LevelWalker on October 24, 2014 at 11:04 pm

James,

Thanks! We’ve been wandering off of the towpath quite a bit lately, but it’s still our favorite trail–by far. It’s great hearing that Candee and I have been of some help to a fellow hiker. We’re fortunate to live near the center of it, where we can be about forty minutes away from (basically) miles 50-150. Discovering the C&O a few years ago has definitely changed my life for the better.

4. Posted by Steve on November 22, 2014 at 9:08 pm

The reward is very well deserved. Tom is a real go-to guy for the Level Walker program – always the first (sometimes only) to volunteer to check on a level that hasn’t been walked for a while. And – he writes some of the best reports…
    Candee – you are a big part of the team – but only one volunteer can be nominated at a time. Thanks for all you do, too!

• Posted by LevelWalker on November 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Thanks, Steve. Candee actually got the whole biking/hiking/volunteering ball rolling several years ago. Without her influence, I would not have experienced the C&O or any of the other local trails. Her influence and contribution are immeasurable. This website was her idea, and occasionally we hear that it has inspired others to lace up their boots or hop on a bike. To date, the highlight of my outdoor endeavors is our second thru-ride of the canal in 2011. We ran into thunderstorms and a massive tree blowdown that went on for roughly .5 miles. It was a great trip–even if my knees disagreed at the end of day three!